St. Gorgon, austerity on the outside...
In a very austere style, in the shape of a Latin cross, the present church was rebuilt in the 18th century. The oldest part, the southern crosspiece, wedged by oblique buttresses, is thought to date from the 16th century. The bell tower dates from 1920, surmounted by a Gothic-style spire.
However, the tour of the church reveals some surprises: on the wall of the nave, a stone mentioning the date 1749; on the wall of the sacristy, built as an extension of the choir, a series of sculpted stones, coming from the disappeared chapel of the Talhouet: a bust of the crowned Virgin, "le sieur de Kerveno" in Plumeliau in the Renaissance style....
The splendour of Louis XIV inside
It is the stucco decoration painted in fake marble that strikes the eye when entering the church. The beautiful 18th century pulpit has been preserved and classified. The chestnut vault has been repainted blue as originally.
The three altarpieces shine with all their gold and polychromy. The altarpiece of the choir occupies the entire surface of the chevet wall. The altar in the form of a curved tomb supports an altar-piece-tabernacle, as they were done in the 17th century. It is surmounted by a painting representing the descent of the Holy Spirit on the apostles. Niches, twisted columns and cherubs with trumpets follow one another, framing the saints.
The altarpiece of the south is dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary through a painting made in 1621. In the side niches, wooden statues; a crowned virgin and the infant Jesus, St Anne and the Virgin. On the tiers of the altar, two processional statues: St Gorgon and St Lawrence. The north altarpiece is dedicated to St Catherine, St Anthony of Padua and St Lawrence offering his heart to God. All the altarpieces and some of the paintings and statues are classified.
St. Gorgon, Martyrdom of Diocletian
St. Gorgon was a captain of Diocletian's guards, martyred for his faith in Nicodemus. After lacerating his body with iron claws, his executioners coated his wounds with vinegar and salt, before laying him on a grill like St. Lawrence. He is depicted booted and helmeted as a theatrical warrior at the top of the main altarpiece, as was the fashion of the century of Louis XIV.
A fountain and a carved cross
To the south, the fountain framed by two low walls is accessible by a staircase. Dedicated to St Laurent, whose chapel has disappeared, it was rebuilt in 1926 on its present site. A recent statue of St Laurent is framed by two polychrome statues of Trinity and St Jacques en Pélerin.
Just next to it, there is a carved stone cross of Christ, the Virgin and St John. It bears mention of the sculptor and the date 1767.
Article made from the book "Churches and chapels of the country of Locminé" - Joseph DANIGO -Books of UMIVEM